Combating Imposter Syndrome as an Intern


Be humble. Not knowing something doesn't make you a fraud. It makes you a student. - Marie Forleo


Imposter syndrome is real, especially for newly hired employees and interns. For the majority of my life, I have struggled with imposter syndrome, whether it was with a new job, internship, or leadership positions. Now, I'm debating whether I want to continue on the pre-law path or discover something new in the fields of public relations, communications, and marketing. Although I know I'm qualified with my skill set and persevering work ethic, I still am struggling with a bad case of imposter syndrome due to my perfectionist nature. 


Here are a few ways I plan to combat imposter syndrome: 

  •  Start to focus on the positive and reevaluate my response to mistakes.
    • Making mistakes is valuable when it comes to learning and growth. With every mistake I make, I'm continuing to focus on the positive growth of my professional and personal development. 
  • Continue to recognize that I don't have the answer to everything. 
    • Internships are about learning, so it is completely normal to ask questions when you don't know the answer. As a perfectionist, I tend to feel an overwhelming sense of self-doubt if I don't know the answer. I must recognize that I have every right to ask for assistance when I need it.
  • Start to realize that what I am feeling isn't always factual. 
    • There are moments where I dwell on small mistakes, start to debate my worth as an employee, and feel dumb. I need to have conversations with myself, so I recognize that although I may feel inadequate, it doesn't mean that I am. 
  • Start to focus on internalizing my successes. 

    • One reason I have trouble moving past imposter syndrome is due to the lack of ability to internalize my success. It is important to recognize and internalize your achievements in life before moving on to the next task. I will focus on reflecting on my successes, like receiving this internship, so I can move forward with a mindset that recognizes that I am good enough.
Although I completely understand that I'm far from solving my personal case of imposter syndrome, I am making strides to becoming a more confident and self-assured professional. Sharing this struggle with others will allow me to move forward, and I encourage other young professionals to do the same. 

Comments